Recipe by Sue Lau
This Thai dish makes a great appetizer, in smaller portions.
Top Review by Jangomango
I love larb and this is an excellent recipe for it. I'm always trying new versions and fiddling around getting the best proportions, but I followed this pretty much to the letter. Didn't have onions so left them out but made up for it with the whites of the green onions. The toasted and ground rice is essential. Thanks, Sue.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground galangal
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 -4 crushed dried red chilies (amount to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground toasted rice (instructions below)
- 8 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 12 mint leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- To make toasted rice, place rice in a dry hot wok; swirl until golden brown, allow to cool, then grind in a mortar& pestle or spice mill.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in wok and add the chicken; stir-fry until cooked through.
- Drain chicken and place in mixing bowl, adding lemongrass, green onion, red onion, galangal, fish sauce, lime juice, chiles, and ground rice; mix well and set aside.
- On a bed of lettuce leaves, arrange chicken mixture and garnish with mint and cilantro.
- Serve with steamed sticky rice or steamed jasmine rice, using small amounts of rice to pick up the larb.