Recipe by RedWonder
This is a nice alternative to traditional paella for those who don’t like seafood. Very quick and simple with most ingredients likely to be on-hand.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Made this last night and we all really enjoyed it. I love the addition of turmeric, giving it a beautiful golden colour! I actually added a can of chopped tomatoes, because we do like tomato, and I didn't finish it off in the oven, I just covered it and allowed it to cook at a low heat on the stove top, until rice was cooked and liquid absorbed. otherwise, just as directed. A great one dish meal :) On the side, I served Recipe #126482, also by RedWonder, thank you for a lovely supper! made for PAC Fall 2008
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cubed
- 1 lb kielbasa, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon bottled garlic
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color preference)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Salt & pepper chicken.
- In a large, oven proof skillet with a lid, heat oil and saute chicken till brown, but not cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Return skillet to heat and add kielbasa, onion, and bell pepper.
- Saute till kielbasa is brown, and onion & bell pepper are soft.
- Add diced tomato and return chicken to skillet.
- Stir in chicken stock, rice, turmeric and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle peas over the top.
- Cover the skillet and place in the oven.
- Cook till liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, approx 25 minutes.