Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Saltmarsh lamb from the Holker Estate in Cumbria is naturally reared on the Salt Marshes and grazes on the local heather – the sweetness from the heather and saltiness from the water imparts delicious flavour to the meat
- 4 lamb shanks
- oil, to fry
- 1 leek
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 carrots, not peeled
- 2 onions, not peeled
- 1 garlic, bulb unpeeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 150 ml port wine
- 750 ml chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish.
- Add the shanks one at a time, seal them on all sides and remove from the dish.
- Add the roughly chopped vegetables and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the herbs and put the lamb back in the dish, on top of the vegetables.
- Add red currant jelly and stock.
- Put the lid on and bake at 150c for at least two and a half hours, but I like to do another hour on top.
- Serve the lamb shank with mash potato and vegetables.