Recipe by threeovens
Mediterranean-style meatballs served with a pomegranate juice reduction served with garlic and chive flavored yogurt and pita wedges. The meatballs are browned on the stove-top then finished in a slow oven.
Top Review by Cookie Jarvis
My family really enjoyed this recipe. I tried it out on my fasting family during Ramadan when most of the meat in my freezer was ground lamb, accidentally ordered instead of ground beef. My husband loved it! The mint was a fresh addition to this little meatball and my kids didn't even notice that they were eating lamb! I served it atop of a bed of vegetable bejeweled rice with an extra serving of the yogurt sauce. I also used pomegranate molasses in place of the pomegranate juice reduction because it is so easily available here in the Middle East.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain Greek yogurt (must strain liquid out of regular yogurt through a fine sieve or cheesecloth for about 1/2 hour to t) or 2 cups plain yogurt (must strain liquid out of regular yogurt through a fine sieve or cheesecloth for about 1/2 hour to t)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- fresh mint leaves (optional)
- toasted pita bread, wedges (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F In a large bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, chopped mint, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add lamb and mix well. Shape into about 32 meatballs and set aside.
- To prepare the sauce bring the pomegranate juice to a boil in a medium saucepan. reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes until reduce to about 1/2 cup. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the meatballs, in batches, being sure to turn meatballs a few times for even browning. Once browned transfer meatballs to a 15x10x1 inch baking dish. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until and instant read thermometer reads 160°F when inserted in a meatball.
- While meatballs are finishing prepare the yogurt sauce. In a medium bowl combine yogurt, 1 tablespoon snipped chives, and one minced garlic clove.
- To serve, drizzle meatballs with pomegranate sauce, sprinkle with remaining snipped chives and mint if desired. Serve with the yogurt sauce and toasted pita wedges.