Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I adapted this from several other lamb curries, until I had one that I thought was just right! Commercial curry powder mixtures make a good starting point to customize in your own way, and in spite of the length of the ingredient list this is not at all difficult to put together.
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless lean stewing lamb
- 3 medium jalapeno chiles, minced
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups water or 2 cups broth
- 450 ml nonfat yogurt
- Grind the fennel and cumin seeds finely, and mix all the dry spices in a small bowl.
- Peel and chop the onions; mince the Jalapenos and grate the ginger.
- Saute the onions in the oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the meat, turn up the heat a bit, and brown them both, stirring frequently.
- Add the minced jalapenos and grated ginger and the mixed spices.
- Stir in the water and the yogurt; simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, until the meat is tender and the sauce is quite thick.
- NOTE: You can replace the yogurt with crushed tomatoes for a slightly different dish.
This was good. Added some peas, and only used spices at half amounts so it was milder - next time will make with full. Will make again. Thanks.
This had a "dusty" flavor instead of a more than a in-your-face spiciness. I served over jasmine rice. I had to make some modifications because I didn't have fennel. I also used only 1 T of ginger, but I should have used at least one more. I am a curry newbie so I left out the jalapenos because I am spice shy. The lamb I used was a steak cut from a bone-in leg peice. It was a great consistency for this. I was worried it would be tough but it was great. I liked it, and hubby is bringing leftovers to work today. Thanks!
Excellent! I had left over leg of lamb for one. I scaled down your recipe to serve 2 and used the leftover meat. Instead of the yogurt, I added 2 fresh Roma tomatoes, chopped. Served it over whole grain couscous. Something I will prepare again.