1/1 Photo of Lamb Curry
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from the northern part of India. You could use cuts of boneless lamb but I feel the bones add in the extra flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g leg of lamb, cut into small chunks including bones, fat trimmed off
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or any flavourless oil)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, ground to a paste
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, ground to a paste
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 green cardamoms, slightly crushed
- 2 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 -8 peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 -4 tablespoons coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, and fry the cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and peppercorns till they start to pop (over medium to high heat), should take a minute or so.
- 2Next add in the garlic-ginger paste and the onions and fry till soft and golden (add a little water if the mixture is sticking to the base).
- 3Next add in the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and fry for another 5-10 mins adding a little water if necessary (bear in mind spices burn easily).
- 4Add in the beaten yoghurt and stir it in thoroughly for 2 minutes and then mix in the tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 5Now add in the chunks of meat and stir in well making sure the meat is coated with the curry mixture.
- 6Add in water enough to cover the lamb (about 1/2 litre) giving it a good stir again and now reduce the heat to low and let this simmer gently with the lid on for 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Now add in the garam masala powder and cook for another 30 minutes till the sauce has thickened.
- 8Stir in the chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- 9Serve hot with plain basmati rice or naan bread (Naan Bread).
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Curry
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.3
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 84.7 mg
- Sodium 129.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: