Recipe by Alan Leonetti
What can I say, other than this is an EASY and wonderful tasting way to make lamb chops. The Middle Eastern Rice goes very well with the lamb chops, and can also be used to compliment other dishes as well.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made these lamb chops last night for dinner. We really enjoyed them. The chops were very flavorful and required minimal prep. The only modification I made to the chops was to use freshly chopped garlic. I would definitely make these chops again. The middle eastern rice was complimentary to the lamb chops. Mine came out a little bit dry as I followed the directions on my rice cooker (using basmati), and it required less water than the 3 cups you listed. Perhaps if I used 3 cups as you stated it would have been more moist. The flavor, however, was good and I added a little olive oil to moisten it up. Also, I had to substitute dark raisins for golden as I didn't have any on hand. I really enjoyed the toasted pine nuts in the rice dish. Defintely a different way of making rice than I am used to. I would certainly make this dish again, with and without the rice. I also served with green beans. Thanks, Alan!
FOR THE LAMB CHOPS
- 4 -8 lamb loin chops
- 1 dash extra virgin olive oil
- Dijon mustard (to brush onto chops)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 1 dash dried sage
- 1 dash dried parsley
- 1 dash garlic granules
- 1 dash dried rosemary, crushed
FOR THE MIDDLE EASTERN RICE
- 2 cups white rice (made as directed on the box)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds or 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (toasted and crushed)
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE LAMB CHOPS: Season chops with all of the above and place in broiler.
- When the tops are browned, turn the chops, season the other side, and broil that side until browned.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
- FOR THE MIDDLE EASTERN RICE: Prepare the rice as directed on the box.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of butter, the cumin, the raisins, the aniseed, the sugar, the salt and pepper to taste, lime juice and the cooked rice.
- Stir in the eggs and continue stirring until the eggs are mixed into the rice and the eggs are solidified.
- Remove from heat and add the crushed toasted sunflower seeds or pine nuts.
- Fluff with a fork, transfer to a serving dish, and serve.