Top Review by mianbao
I tried this recipe cooked over direct heat, since I don't have a microwave oven. I wanted a recipe for sliced lamb. There are surprisingly few on this site. I decided to make 3 servings worth, because 1 serving seemed impractical. The resulting dish provided me with a reasonably good dinner, I'd say 4 stars. I do think the recipe could use some adjusting. Maybe a little soy sauce, sugar, and Chinese wine would add a stronger flavor. Or maybe some chilies. I don't expect everything I eat to have an assertive flavor, but do think this recipe could use a little help. Also, and I do like pine nuts, I don't think they really "belong" here. JMO. I am not leaving stars because I changed the cooking method. These comments are for other cooks' reference. I did post a picture of my version.
- 2 ounces boneless lamb
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oyster sauce (Oyster sauce is an ingredient used frequently in Oriental cooking.)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, Grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
- 3⁄4 cup bok choy, Cut In 1-inch Pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, Toasted
- rice, Hot Cooked (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Partially freeze lamb.
- Thinly slice into bite-size strips.
- In a 1-cup measure stir together 3 T water, oyster sauce, cornstarch, grated gingerroot and chicken bouillon granules.
- Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power for 1 1/2 minutes or till mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Set aside.
- In a small nonmetal bowl combine bok choy, sliced mushrooms, and 1 T water.
- Cover with vented clear plastic wrap.
- Micro-cook, covered, on 100% power for 1 1/2 minutes or till bok choy is just crisp-tender.
- Cover and set aside.
- Preheat a 6 1/2-inch microwave browning dish on 100% power for 3 minutes.
- Add cooking oil to browning dish.
- Swirl to coat dish.
- Add lamb strips.
- Micro-cook covered, on 100% power for 1 to 2 minutes or till lamb is done.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in oyster sauce mixture.
- Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power about 30 seconds or till mixture is heated through.
- Toss lamb mixture with toasted pine nuts and bok choy mixture.
- Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.