Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Spicy, meat-filled pita breads. OAMC instructions available.
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 arabic pita breads (approx 12 diameter)
- 8 slices tomatoes, thin
- 1 egg
- 6 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- Saute the beef, onions and spices in the olive oil until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in parsley.
- Mix the butter together with the egg to make a spread.
- Spread the 4 pites with this mixture.
- Distribute the meat mixture evenly amongst the 4 pites and press down well with palm of hand so that it adheres to the pites.
- Don’t make the layer too thick.
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Bake pites for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove, top with 2 slices of tomato each and roll each pita up (use a sheet of aluminum foil to wrap around outside).
- Note. To freeze whole: Cool. Freeze whole between layers of waxed paper or foil. Omit tomatoes. To reheat: place in a single layer and heat at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. top with tomatoes and serve. OR Freeze meat mixture in a freezer bag. Thaw in fridge. Proceed with recipe.
Excellent! I made the recipe as directed but using ground lamb. I was amazed that DH, who usually is not fond of meat seasoned with cinnamon, adored this! The sliced tomato was the perfect offset to the allspice-cinnamon flavors and the butter-egg wash kept the top of the pitas soft, while the bottoms browned. You will need to melt and cool the butter before adding the egg because softened butter doesnt't work. I could only find 6 inch diameter pitas and don't think there is enough mixture for 12 inch pitas. Thanks Evelyn, this was delightfully different than simillar versions I have tried!
this is wonderful! i made it for lunch today, only 3 of us, and everyone was fighting over the last pita. the spice combo was what made the meal. i think this would be equally good inside of the pitas with the tomatoes and some cucumbers and lettuce . i omitted the egg and it turned out just fine. i also topped the tomato slices with some crumbled feta cheese and broiled it for 2 minutes before serving- 10 stars!
Very easy to make and delicious. I doubled the meat because we eat more meat. Next time I will make some taziki sauce to go with it. Thank you.