A beautifully presented cake from another time. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (no susbstitutions)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted (all-purpose is fine if you don't have cake flour)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk, diluted with
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water (orange extract is nice, too)
- lady baltimore frosting (Lady Baltimore Filling and Icing)
- 1Preheat oven to 350F; grease three 9" layer cake pans, line with waxed paper and grease paper.
- 2Beat egg whites stiffly; fold in rose water and set to the side.
- 3Cream butter and sugar together in another bowl until fluffy.
- 4Sift baking powder and flour together.
- 5Add flour and milk alternately to the creamed mixture, beating vigorously each time.
- 6Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites; pour evenly into prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes.
- 7Cool slightly in pans; turn out onto cooling racks and peel waxed paper carefully from cakes.
- 8Fill and frost with Lady Baltimore frosting/filling.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lady Baltimore Cake
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.7
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.3 mg
- Sodium 279.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: