7 hrs 30 mins
While this chicken recipe takes a little more preparation than most crock pot recipes, it is worth the little bit of extra effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs whole chickens
- 3 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium orange, unpeeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bouillon cube, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons red currant jelly or 3 tablespoons raspberry jelly or 3 tablespoons red grape jelly
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 1Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the chicken, turning often, until well browned.
- 2Remove the chicken and set aside.
- 3Saute onion in skillet until well browned.
- 4Put onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- 5Place tomatoes, orange, sugar, salt and pepper in the pot and set chicken on top.
- 6Add the water and bouillon cube.
- 7Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- 8Before serving, remove the chicken to a deep serving dish and keep warm.
- 9Place the vegetables from the slow cooker, into a skillet and simmer until thick.
- 10Stir in the jelly and the sherry and cook, stirring until the sauce boils.
- 11Do not overcook, so the sauce doesn't lose its shiny quality.
- 12If sauce is not shiny enough, bring back to a very brisk boil and quickly stir in some jelly.
- 13Pour sauce over the chicken.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lacquered Crock Pot Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.0
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 570.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 19.2 g