Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While this chicken recipe takes a little more preparation than most crock pot recipes, it is worth the little bit of extra effort.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs whole chickens
- 3 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium orange, unpeeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bouillon cube, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons red currant jelly or 3 tablespoons raspberry jelly or 3 tablespoons red grape jelly
- 1⁄4 cup sweet sherry
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the chicken, turning often, until well browned.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Saute onion in skillet until well browned.
- Put onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place tomatoes, orange, sugar, salt and pepper in the pot and set chicken on top.
- Add the water and bouillon cube.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- Before serving, remove the chicken to a deep serving dish and keep warm.
- Place the vegetables from the slow cooker, into a skillet and simmer until thick.
- Stir in the jelly and the sherry and cook, stirring until the sauce boils.
- Do not overcook, so the sauce doesn't lose its shiny quality.
- If sauce is not shiny enough, bring back to a very brisk boil and quickly stir in some jelly.
- Pour sauce over the chicken.