Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
While this chicken recipe takes a little more preparation than most crock pot recipes, it is worth the little bit of extra effort.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs whole chickens
- 3 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium orange, unpeeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bouillon cube, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons red currant jelly or 3 tablespoons raspberry jelly or 3 tablespoons red grape jelly
- 1⁄4 cup sweet sherry
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the chicken, turning often, until well browned.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Saute onion in skillet until well browned.
- Put onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place tomatoes, orange, sugar, salt and pepper in the pot and set chicken on top.
- Add the water and bouillon cube.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- Before serving, remove the chicken to a deep serving dish and keep warm.
- Place the vegetables from the slow cooker, into a skillet and simmer until thick.
- Stir in the jelly and the sherry and cook, stirring until the sauce boils.
- Do not overcook, so the sauce doesn't lose its shiny quality.
- If sauce is not shiny enough, bring back to a very brisk boil and quickly stir in some jelly.
- Pour sauce over the chicken.
Do you perhaps mean Peeled orange???
I was eager to try this dish with the unusual combination of tomatoes and unpeeled oranges. Unfortunatley, it didn't work for us. The orange peels were bitter and the orange segments separated from the peels, disintegrating into unattractive fibers floating throughout. (I didn't assign a star rating, because it turns out the wine my husband bought was Marsala rather than sweet sherry.) So sorry Mirj!