Recipe by Mrs Goodall
I am so thrilled to find a great fried rice recipe that includes more than soy in the sauce. This is from a fabulous cookbook called Kylie Kwong, Simple Chinese Cooking. Easy and tasty, like most stir fry recipes the cooking time is minimal, it's all the chopping that takes the time. Left overs were fantastic. Enjoy!
Top Review by Elmotoo
This was devoured! I tried to be clever & drizzled the egg along the upper rim of my wok imstead of cooking it first (then removing & dirtying another dish, lol) but it really doesn't work well. Follow the directions! What I made was still yummy enough for everyone to gobble up. Made for Culinary Quest/CCQ.
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 red onion, small, finely diced
- 14.79 ml gingerroot, finely diced
- 453.59 g boneless chicken thighs, finely sliced (a bit more or less chicken works fine)
- 9.85 ml white sugar
- 14.79 ml dry sherry (or shao hsing wine)
- 946.36 ml steamed rice (I used 3 cups and it worked fine)
- 236.59 ml bean sprouts
- 158.51 ml green onion, sliced
- 29.58 ml oyster sauce
- 14.79 ml light soy sauce
- 1.23 ml sesame oil
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro (sprigs or chopped)
- 59.14 ml green onion (for optional garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat half the oil in a hot wok (or other appropriate pan), until surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- Pour beaten eggs into wok and leave to cook on the base of the wok for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or until almost cooked through.
- Carefully remove omelette from wok with a spatula and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the hot wok and stir-fry onion and ginger for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in sugar and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds.
- Add sherry (or wine) and stir-fry for a further 20 seconds. Toss in reserved omelette along with remaining ingredients, except cilantro and garnish.
- Stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for about 2 minutes or until will combined and rice is heated through.
- Remove from heat and toss rice with cilantro.
- Transfer rice to a bowl, garnish with green onions and serve.