Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
A real treat, particularly for artichoke lovers. This was developed based on a dish I used to buy from an Italian deli around the corner from where I used to live. Now that I no longer get over there very often, I decided to come up with my own recipe. BF has decided it's better than the original! Quite a compliment considering it was our favorite dish! Now he wants me to make them every time I fix supper, LOL! To be honest I'm suprised there aren't more roasted artichokes here on Recipezaar. It uses canned (easier than fresh) and roasting them greatly enhances the taste and texture. It takes a while for the artichokes to roast, but it's not hard to make and I think you'll find it's very much worthwhile!
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
The flavor of this was great. I loved the breadcrumb mix. However, I could not get the breadcrumbs to stick to the artichokes, they just piled around them. I think next time, I'll try an egg wash to get them better coated.
- 3 (15 ounce) cans artichoke hearts (whole)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (halved or quartered)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lemon (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Empty artichoke hearts into colander, rinse a bit to remove brine and drain well.
- Mix gently with olive oil and garlic slices.
- Place artichoke mix in metal roasting pan and roast for about 1 hour or more, or until artichokes start to brown. Toss once or twice if desired.
- To make breadcrumbs, toast one slice or so of a good quality, dense bread such as sourdough or panzanella or whole wheat(or use day old bread). Tear into pieces and toss into blender. Blend until processed into fine crumbs.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in non-stick pan and add bread crumbs. Toss a few minutes until slightly browned (this will depend on how well your bread was toasted).
- Remove from heat and add parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, vegetable broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- When artichokes are done roasting, remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 450°F Toss artichokes gently with juice of 1/2 lemon and then with breadcrumb mixture. Place artichokes in single layer of a 2 quart square baking pan. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumb mixture over top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so until warm and cheese has melted.