Kumquats have a sweet, edible skin and bitter juice. Chef Allen Susser uses this often-ignored fruit to make mojitos, a popular Cuban cocktail.
- Reserve 4 kumquat slices for garnish.
- Place remaining fruit slices in a large cocktail shaker.
- Add the sugar, 4 of the mint leaves and lime juice.
- Crush the kumquats and mint into the sugar with a bar mallet or large spoon until sugar dissolves.
- Pour in the rum; shake well. Fill two tall glasses with crushed ice; strain mojito over ice.
- Fill the glasses with club soda; stir lightly.
- Garnish with remaining mint leaves, kumquat slices and sugar cane.