Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I started with Kittencal's Chicken Noodle soup, next thing I knew, I had a casserole!
- 9 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- fresh coarse ground black pepper (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 lb mushroom
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Put first 6 ingredients in to a pot with a large opening. Boil until liquid is reduced by roughly 1/4 (leaving 3/4 of original volume in pot, you're going to need a lot of liquid).
- Add chicken and mushrooms, simmer for 45 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Assemble casserole in a shallow dish. Dry rice to line the bottom, then uncooked veggies (carrots, celery, etc), then cooled broth with chicken and mushrooms.
- Cook, uncovered, in oven for approx 1 hr, or until rice is fluffy and most liquid has boiled off.
Boring! Way too much rice, dry chicken and no flavour. Sorry but this is just my opinion. Glad other enjoyed it though :)
Very good! I made it on the stovetop because it's just too hot to have the oven on for that long, but I doubt that harmed it any. I would cut back on the carrots next time (personal preference) and possibly add some broccoli instead. Very, very tasty as is, though!
I have to be honest, when this came out the oven I was a bit worried. It looked a little dry, and like all the flavour may have been evaporated. WOW IS THAT WRONG :) This was terrific! Full of flavour, perfectly cooked....I could go on forever. Once again Kristi, you have come up with a winner. Made for PAC Spring 2009