Kittencal's Easy Tuna or Chicken Noodle Casserole
This is a delicious casserole that can be made using either tuna or 1-1/2 cups or more of cooked cubed chicken or even cooked turkey --- for a thinner sauce use 1 cup of milk or half and half instead of 3/4 cup, prep time includes boiling the egg noodles, if you are not a garlic-lover then you may omit the garlic powder and to zing the flavor up even more add in 1-1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Ready In:
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste, I use 1 teaspoon)
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup milk (or can use half-and-half cream)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (can increase to to 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (can use 2 green onions)
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked (can add another 3 ounces for a more meatier casserole if desired, or use cooked chicken or turkey)
- 12 -15 butter flavored crackers, broken in pieces (such as Ritz Crackers)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling salted water; drain then toss with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a large saucepan, mix the undiluted mushroom soup, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese (if using) milk or half and half, sour cream, salt, pepper, chopped onion, pimiento, bell pepper and celery; cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 15 minutes.
- Add in the tuna or chicken; mix to combine.
- Combine the mixture with the cooked egg noodles.
- Transfer to prepared greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with the broken Ritz crackers.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.