Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Straight out of my Greek cookbook that I brought home from Greece in 1990. The only editing was so Food would accept measurements. 'teacup' didn't work. ;) This is one of my all time favorite recipes.
- 1 (1 1/2 kg) whole chickens
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 cup rice, washed & strained
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons
- salt & pepper
- Wash the chicken & rub with one lemon. Place it in a pot, cover with water and let it boil for about an hour and a half on medium heat.
- Add the carrot, onion, salt & pepper and continue cooking for some more minutes. When the chicken is done (test it with a fork), take it out of the pot.
- Strain the broth and put it on the fire again. When the broth begins boiling, add the washed rice and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Make the egg & lemon sauce as follows:.
- Beat the eggs, add lemon juice to taste and beat it together. Pour in tablespoons of the hot but not boiling broth beating at the same time.
- Add the egg & lemon sauce to the soup stirring constantly and rotate the pot a few times.
- Sprinkle individual servings with chopped parsley & serve immediately.