Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish is one of the most popular snacks among Korean teens, especially girls. It is hot!!! Might be too spicy for those who are not familiar with Korean food, but it's really good. (You can make a milder version by cutting back on the red pepper paste and red pepper powder.) Once you taste it, you will always go back! Sometimes I use thin rice cakes, they cook faster and also absorb flavor faster. I got this recipe from the Korean Kitchen web site. Our Korean homestay student says this is as good as her mother's.
- 8 ounces Korean Rice Cakes, tube shaped (ddeok bok ee ddeok)
- 2 tablespoons korean red pepper paste (kochujang)
- 1 tablespoon korean red pepper powder (kochugaru)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 napa cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 carrot, sliced
- 1 -2 sheet fish cake, cut into bite size
- 4 green onions, sliced on bias
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- Put rice cake in a pot. Add water to cover, bring to a slow boil and cook until soft.
- Add red pepper paste, red pepper powder, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Add onion, cabbage, carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fish cake and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Finish with green onion and sesame seeds. Serve hot.