Tteokbokki - Korean Spicy Rice Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a common late night Korean snack often sold by street vendors.
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces rice cakes, for tteokbokki (defrosted if using frozen)
- 2 sheets korean rectangular fish cakes (Shagahk Oden, cut into squares) (optional)
- 2 cups cabbage (cut into 1 in squares)
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1⁄2 onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 3 cups water (anchovy stock would be preferred if available)
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (spicy red bean paste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Using a non-stick saute pan, add the water or anchovy stock and cabbage, carrot and onion and bring to a boil. Add gochujang, garlic, soy sauce, salt and sugar to this mixture.
- When it reaches a full boil, add rice cake and fish cake and stir. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure rice cakes don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Taste after the simmer time and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add ketchup, stir in, and sprinkle with black pepper before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation