This afternoon I put some broth and cabbage into the crockpot, and when my husband came home he said, "That smells good, what is it?" I chuckled. "Just cabbage in broth. That's it." He hmmm'ed. "You need to come up with some German name for it, instead. Cabbage in broth just won't do." So I looked up what it would be in German, found some similar recipes online, fiddled with the contents of the crockpot a bit, and here's what we had for dinner! :) Really simple, and very tasty! This is a Pantry Challenge recipe, using ingredients that were already on hand at home.
- Put the chopped cabbage and the broth in the crockpot, on high; simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a sauté pan, cook the bacon slices until crisp; remove, chop roughly, and set aside.
- Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings until soft.
- Add the chopped bacon, onion, potato, and salt and pepper to the crockpot.
- Cook on high for an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours hours, until the cabbage reaches the texture you prefer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- Notes: would also be good with some dill weed or caraway added, or even kielbasa slices, if you like; I also added a 1 once cube of concentrated frozen duck stock, but as most folks don't have it in their freezer I didn't include it in the ingredient list; you could simmer this in a heavy pot on the stove for an hour instead of the crockpot, too.
This is just like my mom's recipe, except for the potatoes and sometimes she's using kielbasa instead of bacon. I liked the addition of potatoes and it was perfect for a cold winter evening. Made it with the dill weed.
Oh Julesong, this was so tasty! I have always loved cabbage soup and this was really wonderful! Added caraway seeds to mine and made the way you posted. We don't have a crockpot here at the home so we made it on top of the stove. Served sour cream on the side along with extra bacon for garnish. The residents that tasted it kept saying -- this is so good, does it have beans? The residents are so used to eating only Cuban foods or Cuban type foods that every time we introduce something new they try & guess what is in it. Thank you for a fun meal, which was delicious! Can't wait to make it again, Diane :)
Yummmm...I cut up our leftover pork chops and added to soup.