Prep 1 min
Cook 2 mins
A delicious beverage based on a drink described in the "Dragonriders of Pern" books by Anne McCaffrey. This recipe makes a large single serving. I mix the dry ingredients and take baggies of it to work to leave in my desk for whenever I need a pick-me-up.
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, unsweetened (I like Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups water
- sugar (optional)
- milk (optional)
- Combine cocoa powder, coffee and spices in microwave-safe mug.
- Add vanilla (if using) and water. Stir to combine.
- Heat in microwave for approximately 2 minutes, or until as hot as you like it. (Alternately, heat water in saucepan and pour hot water over dry ingredients.).
- Stir well.
- Sweeten and/or add milk as desired.
What a lovely warming drink for a cold winters day. I especially love the little kick from the cayenne. Thanks for posting!
I added a little sugar & milk to mine which I had on a cold wet winters day. It really hit the spot :) Made for Aus/NZ swap June 2009
WOW, what a great treat. I really enjoyed this drink. I used all the spices and pure vanilla extract. I did garnish the coffee with whipped cream and more of the spices, making it even spicier. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful easy to make cuppa Sheynath.