I developed this dressing years ago, and I can honestly say that you won't be able to keep your spoon out of the fridge for a taste, it is *that* good! --- although I do think the dressing is better with the anchovy it can certainly be made without them. In a pinch I have even substituted buttermilk for the half and half cream, just use about the same amount --- this dressing gets stronger with refrigeration time so a small amount of fresh garlic goes a long way! ---- usually one recipe without doubling is perfect for one large romaine lettuce, if you are serving a large crowd of people you might want to double -- salad dressing will not work for this use *only* mayonnaise, I find Hellman's brand mayonnaise works the best and for the perfect companion to this salad see my Kittencal's Garlic Croutons-------------LOWER-FAT OPTION use reduced fat mayonnaise and fat-free half and half or low-fat milk --- also see my Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (washed over and thoroughly dried)
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic-flavored croutons (or to taste, see Kittencal's Garlic Croutons)
- parmesan cheese
- freshly grated black pepper (to taste)
- 2 anchovy fillets (or to taste)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing Hellman's is best)
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (Hellman's Dijonnaise is best!)
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (or to taste) (optional)
- buttermilk or half-and-half, for thinning
- In a small 2-cup mini food processor, process/mince the anchovy fillets and garlic together until finely minced (do this together and firstly, otherwise it will not get minced properly with the other ingredients).
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and process for 30 seconds, or more until well mixed.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Thin with buttermilk (or milk) for a thinner consistency if desired.
- Store in fridge, covered in a glass container for 3 or more hours before using (the flavors become stronger when left in the fridge for a longer time).
- Toss desired amount of dressing with Romaine lettuce and croutons.
- Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Another Kittencal triumph! It was fabulous, my chicken caesar was better than any restaurant. Just so this might be helpful to others, I also was craving deviled eggs. Made one using the dressing to mash the yolk... so yum! Thanks again, K!
Do we need another 5 star review? You bet! This was great...easy to make and delicious. I made it without anchovy because guests were vegetarian, but wonderful none the less.
This was a great ceasar salad dressing! I skipped the anchovies because I was too lazy to go to the market to buy them, but I could tell they were missing so next time, they're going in (and I won't tell my husband, lol!). We didn't need to thin it down and tossed the dressing with the lettuce and a perfect tomato from the garden. Thanks for the keeper, Kittencal!