Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is one of my family's favorite baked bean recipes, it's an easy recipe but big on flavor, and you can adjust all ingredients to taste ;-) The grated cheddar cheese is optional but I like to sprinkle it on towards the end of baking. I have even added in cooked el dente macaroni pasta.
Top Review by sissaroo
As always Kittencalskitchen came through.. My daughter said "wow mommy this is great" I did adjust to my tastes and added red wine to get the last of the sweet babby rays bbq sauce out of the bottle I also used a 28oz can of bushes beans with brown sugar and bacon and used a 15oz can of carribean black beans and a can of drained corn, schallots for my onion... it was even great the next day.. I always know I can count on the recipes from kitten...
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finaly chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 finely chopped jalapeno (seeds removed) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 6 -8 slices cooked bacon (diced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans in tomato sauce (or use a 14-ounce can)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4-1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- salt and black pepper (to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- 2 -3 cups grated cheddar cheese (optional) or 2 -3 cups mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onions, celery and green pepper and jalapeno peppers (if using) cook stirring for about 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add in the garlic and ground beef; cook breaking up the beef with a fork or wooden spoon, cook for about 6 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink; drain off fat from the skillet.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese (if using) cooked diced bacon, baked beans, kidney beans, barbecue sauce, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; mix well to combine.
- At this point you can adjust ingredients to taste, then season with salt and black pepper (you can add in a little water if the mixture is too thick).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or an oval baking dish.
- Transfer the mixture into dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese (if using).
- Return to oven to bake another 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has thickened.