Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From here: http://justonecookbook.com/recipes/kinpira-gobo-braised-carrot-burdock-root/ If you have a tool to julienne/matchstick ingredients, this will go a lot faster, but it's worth it either way.
- 1 burdock root (gobo in Japanese)
- 1⁄3 carrot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, roasted
- chili powder (or Korean chili threads, ichimitogarashi, ito togarashi) (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup dashi stock
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Peel burdock root and diagonally slice thinly 2 inch length pieces, stack a few strips and cut into thin matchbox strips. Soak the gobo in water or vinegar water (just one drop of vinegar). Change water a couple of times until the water is clear, and then keep the burdock root in the water until ready to cook.
- Cut carrot into matchbox strips.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium high and stir fry the burdock root and then the carrot after a few minutes.
- Add the seasonings and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
- When the liquid is almost gone, add sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds and ichimitogarashi.