Nikujaga (Japanese Meat & Potatoes)
photo by Maggie
- Ready In:
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 2 medium potatoes
- 225 g thinly sliced meat (1/2 pound usually beef, but pork is fine, too)
- 1 (5 -7 ounce) package shirataki noodles
- 4 snow peas (can use green beans)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups dashi stock (check your Asian market, make your own or substitute beef broth)
Seasonings (may want to bump these up a little for more flavor)
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Prepare the dashi or beef broth.
- Prepare veggies: Cut onion into 10-12 wedges. Peel and cut the carrot in half lengthwise and then cut diagonally into about 1" pieces. Cut the potatoes into large bite-sized chunks (they may cook down some) and put in water to prevent color change.
- Remove string from snow peas and boil for 30 seconds and set aside.
- Rinse and drain shirataki noodles and boil for 1 minute. You may wish to cut them in half. Set aside.
- Cut sliced meat in half, if necessary.
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the onion and the meat and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and shirataki noodles. Then add the dashi stock and the Seasonings (again, may want to add a little more of each for more flavor - taste and adjust) and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat, skim off any scum and place an "otoshibuta" (or piece of aluminum foil, folded round to fit in the pan on top of the mixture and with a hole poked in the middle for ventilation) and simmer about 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Turn off the heat, remove the "otoshibuta" or foil and let stand 30 minutes before heating up to serve, or plan to serve the next day.
- Once heated again, top with snow peas and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!