Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a Japanese side dish that is full of flavor. I grew up eating this stuff and it always reminds me of my childhood.
- 1 burdock root, 12-15 inches (gobo)
- 1 small carrot
- 1 -2 red chile
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Scrape gobo and cut into thin slivers (or julienne). Soak in water 15 minutes and drain.
- Cut carrots in thin slivers (or julienne). Chop seeded chilis into small pieces.
- Heat oils in skillet. Add chili and stir once. Add gobo; stir fry a few minutes. Add carrot; cook, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and stir, then add mirin and soy sauce and stir again. Braise for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon water; stir and add vinegar. Garnish with sesame seeds.