Recipe by CP Camper
We wanted some sweeter and lighter beef tacos and this ended up being a good cheap solution. The flavor of the sauce really comes through so make sure and save the drippings.
- 2 -3 lbs well trimmed tri-tip roast
- 1⁄4 cup key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peppermint
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, green onion, garlic and mint together in a large ziplock bag.
- Add the roast and rub well to coat. Make sure to use a decent amount of pressure to get the mixture well into the meat.
- Let rest two hours.
- Start your smoker. Aim for an indirect temp between 225 and 250°F.
- Transfer the meat to aluminum foil and add as much of the marinade as you can. Wrap the meat loosely to create a nice pouch for the meat to sit in its juices.
- Smoke the meat wrapped for three hours, then remove from foil and let smoke for an additional half hour turning about halfway through.
- Transfer juice from foil into a skillet over medium heat with the pepper and sugar and reduce about half the volume is gone.
- Slice and/or chop the meat and add to the skillet. Turn off the heat and stir to coat.
- Serve on rice or tortillas.