Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I found this recipe for the Zaar World Tour. I haven't tried it yet, but we love the stuff!! So I can see us eating this soon.
- 2 lbs Chinese cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 dash sesame oil
- Place the cabbage into a large dish, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 3 to 4 hours. The cabbage will wilt.
- After the cabbage has been sitting, massage it with your hands until it is even softer.
- Drain off the liquid.
- Mix in the green onion, garlic, chili powder, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar.
- Transfer to a large glass jar, and refrigerate for 24 hours before using.
- This will keep for about a week in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle with sesame oil before serving.
I made this up because I so love Kim Chee. The only thing I would do differently is add a touch of crushed red chili flakes to kick it up a bit. Otherwise this is darned good stuff, thank you for the recipe.
I love, love this! I have not had a lot of kim chee, so really cannot compare it to others but I was really impressed with this recipe. The ingredients were easy to find and the recipe was easy to make. The results were great. I have been eating it for lunches and snacks, along with mixed grains and baked tofu pieces. Yum, yum, yum. Will make again for sure. Thank you for sharing this recipe, katie in the UP, it's a keeper!