Corn Soup (Sopa De Elote)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 small ears of corn (or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped (3/4 lb.)
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 california chile, roasted, peeled & chopped (or 2 TBSP canned chopped green chiles)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- cilantro leaf (garnish)
- If using fresh corn, cut kernels from cobs. Scrape cobs with a spoon; discard cobs. Measure corn; you should have about 1-1/2 cups. Puree 3/4 cup corn in a blender or food processor; set aside.
- Mash garlic with salt to make a paste. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic paste. Cook until onion is tender but not browned. Add tomatoes.
- Cook slowly 10 minutes, mashing tomatoes with a spoon. Add broth, chiles, oregano, pureed corn and whole corn kernels. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in cream. Cook until heated through. To serve, pour into soup bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"<p>Hi! Thank you for visiting my About Me page. I live in northern California (about 2 hours north of Sacramento). My husband and I live on 10 acres where we grow alfalfa and have a small family orchard of fruit and nut trees. We also have 2 horses, 2 cats, a Dexter cow and calf, and 13 chickens.<br /><br />I am married to a wonderful guy (since 1979), and we have two terrific kids. Our daughter (born in 1981) has her college degree in microbiology. Our son (born in 1983) has his college degree in computer science.</p> "
Join The Conversation
Tasty and easy soup! I used canned green chilis and fresh corn. I used beef broth as specified but I think I might like it better with chicken broth and will try that next time. I liked the way the pureed corn thickened the soup and added some creaminess. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2014