Recipe by BecR
A delicious, hearty rib-sticking meal!!! Serve with crusty French bread slathered in butter, and a glass of cider or ale! Leftovers are great. Recipe is from my father, I've adapted it a wee bit.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium new potatoes, washed, scrubbed, and sliced thin
- 6 carrots, sliced thin
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional) or 1⁄4 cup olive oil (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained (optional)
- 1 lb smoked polska kielbasa, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven or large skillet, fry diced bacon until crisp, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In bacon drippings, fry onion, potatoes, carrots, broccoli and celery over medium-low heat until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add butter, the drained sauerkraut if using, and the kielbasa slices.
- Cover and cook on low heat until hot, about 15 minutes.
- Top with crumbled crisp bacon right before serving.
- To serve: Goes great with a glass of cider or ale, and a crusty French bread slathered with butter!