Recipe by Leith D.
This has great flavor from the rub and the onions and apple juice used during cooking. It is a family favorite. I use a special bbq suce mix to finish it off. It cooks all day and takes very little work to finish it off.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) pork shoulder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 onions, sliced
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups bottled barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove visible fat from pork roast and cut into 4 or 5 sections.
- Mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, peppers, and garlic powder and rub onto pork.
- Place sliced onions into crockpot.
- Put pork roast on top of onions and pour apple juice over all to cover - add more juice if needed.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Mix together your favorite bbq sauce, chili sauce, and teriyaki sauce.
- Remove pork and onions from crockpot and discard liquid.
- Shred pork using two forks and add put pork and onions back into crockpot with the sauce. Heat until warm. You could do this in a bowl and microwave it until warm instead.
- Serve on rolls or hamburger buns with your favorite cheese.