Sarasota's Vernor's Spicy Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 10mins
- 4 -5 lbs pork shoulder
- 3 large onions (1 thick sliced the other 2 thin sliced)
- 12 ounces vernos ginger ale
- 1 orange, cut in quarters (lightly squeezed and the rest thrown in the crock pot)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (plain, you can just use a good store bought for this)
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons chopped chipoltes in adobo seasoning (to taste, you can go less, is you don't want it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Pork -- Season your pork well with salt and pepper. Add the thick sliced onion on the bottom and then top with the pork. Then top with the thin sliced onions.
- Add the Vernors, cloves, bay leaves and squeeze the oranges and then throw in the pieces. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours until tender.
- Pull -- The pork is done. Remove and let cool slightly. Then pull apart the pork.
- Sauce -- A few minutes before I remove my pork, is when I start my BBQ sauce. In a small pot over medium heat add the sauce, honey, garlic, orange juice, chipoltes and about 1 cup of the Vernors broth. Bring to a light boil, reduce to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add a little more Vernors broth, not much and bring to a boil again and reduce until the sauce is rich and thick.
- Pork -- As the sauce cooks, pull the pork. Add your sauce to your pork and enjoy. If you don't use all your sauce. Just put in a baggie and freeze. This is great just brushed over pork chops or a tenderloin. Don't throw it out.
- Onions -- Don't forget about all those good onions. Scoop them out and serve on the side to serve on the sandwich.
- Serve -- Well you know what to do. Your favorite buns, coleslaw and ENJOY!
Join The Conversation
Another winning recicpe Sarasota! I made this for last nights dinner served on recipe #272006. Of course used the vernors..yay Flinttown! ;) and used Blood Oranges...I cooked in crock pot for 5 hrs on high and then 3 hours on low..perfect fall off the bone no need to "pull" pork recipe! It was complimented by recipe #47195. Thanks for sharing Sarasota..WONDERFUL!
This was an excellent pork recipe. Had to use regular ginger ale, since we don't have Vernos. Cooked on low for about 11 hours. Was very moist and tender with such a delicious flavor. Made the pulled pork sandwiches the next day. Was wonderful stuff. Not too sweet. I used Jack Daniels bbq sauce with the other ingredients. Mixed some of the onions in the pork for the sandwich. Absolutely great stuff Sarasota. Had it with a corn salad instead of cole slaw. Thanks for sharing your recipe, this is a keeper.