Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made this quite a few times, it is just delicious and a favourite with my family. This recipe makes quite a lot so make certain that you have a very large fry pan or use a Dutch oven. The complete recipe is made on top of the stove. Make certain to only cook pasta until just firm but a bit tender, as the pasta will cook more in the pan. All ingredients may be adjusted to suit taste. I have even added in some chopped cooked bacon...you will love this!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 (225 g) boxes macaroni & cheese dinner mix (I use Kraft)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons HP steak sauce (or to taste)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- milk (to thin sauce) or half-and-half cream (to thin sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta from the Kraft dinner until firm-tender (do not over cook, leave firm!) drain and rinse under cold water, set aside the cheese packages and the cooked macaroni.
- In a large frypan or Dutch oven brown the ground beef with onion, garlic and celery until beef is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in the mushrooms and the cooked macaroni to the ground beef; mix to combine.
- In a bowl, mix together mushroom soup, tomato soup, HP steak sauce, Tabasco sauce (if using) green pepper, Parmesan cheese (if using) and the two packages of cheese mix; mix well to combine.
- Add the mixture to the ground beef in the pan and stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes; reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding in milk to thin sauce (I use about 1/4-1/3 cup).