Recipe by peachez
Prep & Cook time doesn't include cool down time.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Oh wow, this cornbread is awesome! It is light and fluffy with great taste and the jam really adds something special!
I made half the recipe using a flax egg and a tad less sugar and jam. It worked out very nicely and my cornbread muffins were devoured very quickly.
Thank you so much for sharing this keeper with us, peachez!
Made and reviewed for Think Pink October 2012.
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml yellow cornmeal
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine, melted
- 177.44 ml strawberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees, grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until well blended; make a well in the center In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter or margarine.
- Pour mixture into well, stir together till moistened.
- Batter should be lumpy Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- With a spoon, dollop the jam over the top of the batter, spacing evenly Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.