My very own recipe, chock-full of everything but the kitchen sink! The combination of the sausage, bacon, herbs, pecans and apples even tastes like Thanksgiving! Happy Holidays! :)
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 -3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) cont. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 apples, unpeeled, diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped pecans, as desired
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) bagunseasoned dry bread cubes
- In large frying pan, saute first 10 ingredients til done adding apples during last 5 minutes, drain grease, add butter and melt.
- Stir in chicken broth, applesauce, pecans, salt and pepper.
- Fold in bread cubes, til just moistened, don't over stir.
- Pour into greased baking dish, cover, bake at 350º for 45 minute.
- Uncover, and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Or stuff inside turkey JUST BEFORE baking your turkey. (Do not pre-stuff turkey.).
- *Please be careful to add the correct amount of sage! Directly above the sage amount, my recipe calls for 1 TABLESPOON parsley. Make sure you only add 1 TEASPOON sage! (wink!).
This recipe sounded great and even as I was making it, it smelled great but it was not a favorite of my family. Call me a dummy, but is there a HUGE difference in dried sage and rubbed sage? I'm not sure if this is where I went wrong...was it this chef or the recipe? Someone else make this and let me know.