Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This was a friend's recipe that I modified so much I now call it my own. It is great on chilly days, but we have it in the summer also. You can make it as hot as you like, but with 4 kids, I have to keep it on the mild side. With a nice warm loaf of home baked bread, it is a hearty meal.
Top Review by Laudee
Ya got a great little chili dish here, Karen! I used ground beef, great northern's, kidney's, and a few left-over chili beans. Made a tasty concoction!! Nice and easy to put together, then, let simmer till ready. We sure enjoyed. Thanks for sharing... Laudee
- 2 lbs ground beef (or combination) or 2 lbs turkey (or combination)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped fine or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 3 -4 large chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper (I start out with a few shakes) or crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (I start out with a few shakes)
- sharp cheddar cheese (optional) or Mexican blend cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese, shredded (optional)
- chopped raw onion (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven and drain grease.
- Add Onion and Garlic and when transparent, add Chili Powder.
- Cook about 5 minutes and then add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency.
- Serve with cheese, onions and sour cream for toppings if desired.