Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A good comfort casserole, all-in-one meal, that can easily be made ahead. The last time I made this, I used minced pork, instead of beef (hamburger). You could substitute yoghurt for the sour cream. From The Australian Family Circle Best Seller Series, Favourite Minced Meat recipes. I've had this book since the children were babies, always my favourite fall-back when I need to feed a houseful of young people!
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- oil (for frying)
- 1 (440 g) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Cook the potatoes with the carrots and onion with salt to taste in a little boiling water for five minutes, drain.
- Mix meat lightly with the egg, crumbs, milk, herbs, and salt to taste.
- Form meat mixture into balls and gently brown all over in oil, remove from pan.
- Pour off fat from pan, stir in soup, sour cream and paprika, stir over moderate heat for a minute or two.
- Spread vegetables over the base of an ovenproof dish, spoon the sauce over.
- Scatter meatballs over the top, cover and bake in a moderate oven for about 40 minutes.
- Scatter 1 cup grated cheese over the top for the last 20 minutes baking time.
Very good meatball dish. I made as was, except for using cream of chicken soup because I didn't have the mushroom soup. Will make again. Made for Make My Recipe.
What a yummy comfort dish. I used some green pepper in place of the onion and I think it was a nice addition. Not difficult to make and it really hits the spot. We had dinner in the living room watching tv and somehow this seemed the perfect choice for such a casual meal. It's warming, hearty and just plain good.