Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I'm the Queen of Cheap, so when I found recipes to make my own liqueurs I jumped on them! This is so much less expensive than the stuff in the fancy bottle, and if using in recipes no one will be the wiser.
- 1 quart water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups vodka
- Bring water, sugar and coffee to a boil in a saucepan.
- Simmer VERY slowly for 3 hours.
- Mixture will be very dark and syrupy.
- Cool syrup for 15 minutes, then add vodka and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour into jars and seal.
Awesome recipe! It's been a big hit for my wife and her friends. Thanks!
This was wonderful, and quite like the original! (I sampled both tonight just to make sure!) Makes quite a lot, so be prepared to have Kahlua to spare. I ended up only simmering for about 2 1/2 hours, and found it the perfect consistency. I drizzled it over some banana bars I made earlier in the evening for extra flavor, and thought it was wonderful. Good proportions. Thanks for posting. (I used Tanqueray vodka, by the way, which was very good in this.) Made for Spring PAC 2010.
times 3 = 1.75 liter bottle of vodka & makes a perfect 18 cup's sooo easy and so good I rate it over scale????