Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my verson of Nad Smith's Pumpkin Soup. Everytime I make this, I think "I don't want sweet soup!" and leave out the sugar. Then I end up adding it back in one tablespoon at a time. The soup still isn't what I would call sweet, but the sugar definitely adds to the flavor. Even my picky husband likes this soup!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 16 ounces canned pumpkin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons grits (I use quick cooking grits)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- shredded parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in butter, stir in pumpkin, spices, sugar and grits.
- Add chicken broth and milk, bring to a low boil.
- Serve with shredded parmesan.