1/6 Photos of Joe's Stone Crab Key Lime Pie
1 hr 8 mins
I made this for my grandparent's 61st wedding anniversary recently. They lived in Florida in their youth, and loved Joe's Stone, and have lamented on occasion that they will never be able to go back (they now live in Virginia). The family rallied 'round and ordered the crab claws directly from Joe's, got a Joe's Stone Crab Cookbook, and prepared the rest of the meal directly from it. What a fantastic surprise it was... and this was a very sweet end to the night. NOTE: I was only able to find about 8 key limes, which wasn't enough juice. I supplemented with Nellie & Joe's Key Lime juice without a problem. Also, I thought the pie was so rich it didn't even need any whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1/3 lb graham cracker (or 1 cup plus 2 1/2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs)
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1For the crust:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Butter a 9-inch pie plate.
- 4Break up graham crackers, place in processor and process to crumbs (if you don't have a processor, place crackers in large plastic bag, seal, and crush using a rolling pin).
- 5Add melted butter& sugar and pulse until combined.
- 6Press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan, forming a neat border around th edges.
- 7Bake until crust is set and golden, about 8 minutes.
- 8Set aside on wire rack; leave oven on.
- 9For the filling:.
- 10Meanwhile, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 11Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3-4 minutes longer.
- 12Lower the mixer speed and slowly add lime juice, mixing until just combined.
- 13Pour mixture into crust and bake for 10 minutes, or until filling has just set.
- 14Cool on wire rack, then refrigerate.
- 15Freeze for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- 16For the topping:.
- 17Whip the cream and the confectioner's sugar until nearly stiff.
- 18Cut pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 19Garnish with a slice of key lime if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Joe's Stone Crab Key Lime Pie
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.1
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 193.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 44.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
key lime zest