I made this for my grandparent's 61st wedding anniversary recently. They lived in Florida in their youth, and loved Joe's Stone, and have lamented on occasion that they will never be able to go back (they now live in Virginia). The family rallied 'round and ordered the crab claws directly from Joe's, got a Joe's Stone Crab Cookbook, and prepared the rest of the meal directly from it. What a fantastic surprise it was... and this was a very sweet end to the night. NOTE: I was only able to find about 8 key limes, which wasn't enough juice. I supplemented with Nellie & Joe's Key Lime juice without a problem. Also, I thought the pie was so rich it didn't even need any whipped cream.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1⁄3 lb graham cracker (or 1 cup plus 2 1/2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs)
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- For the crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate.
- Break up graham crackers, place in processor and process to crumbs (if you don't have a processor, place crackers in large plastic bag, seal, and crush using a rolling pin).
- Add melted butter& sugar and pulse until combined.
- Press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan, forming a neat border around th edges.
- Bake until crust is set and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside on wire rack; leave oven on.
- For the filling:.
- Meanwhile, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3-4 minutes longer.
- Lower the mixer speed and slowly add lime juice, mixing until just combined.
- Pour mixture into crust and bake for 10 minutes, or until filling has just set.
- Cool on wire rack, then refrigerate.
- Freeze for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- For the topping:.
- Whip the cream and the confectioner's sugar until nearly stiff.
- Cut pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Garnish with a slice of key lime if desired.
Key Lime Pie just doesn't get any better than this! Key Lime Pie is one of my favorites and this pie is so very easy to make. I cheated a little and used a ready made graham cracker crust and also needed to supplement some of the lime juice with refridgerated Florida Key West Key Lime Juice. Otherwise, I made exactly as directed for an excellent pie! Thanks for a wonderful dessert, s'kat!
DH said this was the BEST!! I love key lime!! Unfortunately I had the pie partially made before I realized I only had lime juice not key lime juice and i used a regular lime. But it was awesome. oops I also used a store bought crust. I will definately make it again!
Easy,creamy, with just the right amount of sweetness and tartness. Always comes out perfect.I always get rave reviews!