Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a moist, easy, colorful and delicious cornbread. Roasting the corn adds a little nuttier flavor and the red bell pepper adds a nice color and flavor.
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained well (reserve 1/4 cup liquid)
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons diced jalapenos or 2 -3 tablespoons green chilies
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Melt butter in a sauté pan.
- Add the corn, onion and red pepper and sauté on medium heat until some of the corn kernels start to turn golden brown.
- Whisk egg, corn liquid, and cream together.
- Stir into corn muffin mix with a fork.
- Stir in diced jalapenos and cheddar cheese.
- Quickly stir in hot sautéed corn and onion mixture, just mixing in slightly.
- Pour into 8 x 8 buttered baking dish.
- Bake at 350º for 15 minutes.
- Remove cornbread, turn off oven, drizzle cornbread with honey and put back in hot oven for 5 minutes (If you prefer not to use honey just bake for a total of 20 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: you may want to use 1½ cups frozen corn in place of the canned corn; just use 1/4 cup milk in place of the 1/4 cup reserved corn liquid.