Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This can be a great low carb salad if using Splenda instead of sugar. Allow at least 1 hour chilling time for the flavors to meld.
- 2 cups peeled jicama, julienned into match-sized strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups bell peppers, julienned into match-sized strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute or 1 teaspoon sugar
- Shake together the dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar or whisk it together in a small bowl.
- Combine the jicama strips, pepper strips and onion slices in a large bowl and pour the jalepeno dressing over jicama mixture, tossing to coat,.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour, up to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
This is a tasty and different salad that my entire family enjoyed. It also kept well in the fridge and we had it over several meals.
I made this to take on the river this weekend. It was a big hit. My husband at first wasn't too sure about the jicama. I hadn't used it before but after one taste we both loved it. I used a combo of red & orange bell peppers, that made it colorful & tastey! Thanks for a great idea. Teena
Great recipe> So often jicama salad I have had in the past is a little flat in flavor. Love the zesty, tangy sweetness to this dressing. It's a keeper!