Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has won the hearts of many people all over the world. I make it wherever I go and they love it. Although it looks complicated, you will be extremely pleased with the end point. Tasty, pretty little cakes... perfect for any special moment!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup red raspberry preserves
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 (5 ounce) can slivered almonds
- 1 cup sour cream
Jewel Cakes Icing
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Separate eggs.
- Beat whites to a soft peak.
- Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl.
- Add egg yolks and beat.
- Stir in the flour until it disappears completely.
- Then fold in beaten egg whites.
- Grease bottom of 13x9x2" pan.
- (Yes, I mean the bottom. It'll be a lot easier than using the pan like normal.) Measure out 2/3 cup of batter.
- Spread on pan, not quite to the edges.
- Bake at 350F oven about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Slide off carefully and let cool.
- Repeat until you have made five thin layers of cake.
- In a small bowl, grind almonds until fine.
- Mix in sour cream.
- Then take 1 layer and spread 1/4 cup apricot preserves over it.
- Spread 1/3 cup of sour cream mixture on top of preserves.
- Cover with another layer of cake.
- Spread 1/4 cup raspberry preserves over top layer.
- Cover the preserves with more sour cream.
- Alternate layers between raspberry and apricot preserves.
- When all layers are put together, cover with wax paper.
- Lay flat weights on top of it- a few good sized books should do the trick.
- Leave in refridgerator with weight overnight.
- In the morning, trim off rough edges.
- Use Jewel Cake Icing to cover.
- We usually create little flowers on each of the cakes, using a dragee to make the centre.
- Cut into 64 square cakes and enjoy!
I made these last yea for Christmas food gifts. They are labor intensive, but worth the effort. They taste very nice and sophisticated. I used a chocolate ganache to dip them in and was very satisfied with the results.