Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Food and Wine June 2003
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄4 scotch bonnet pepper (or 1 tablespoon scotch bonnet sauce)
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 lbs cockles or 2 lbs clams, scrubbed
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Light grill.
- In a food processor, pulse the cilantro with the scallions, garlic, thyme, ginger, chile, allspice and nutmeg until coarsely pureed.
- Blend in the olive oil, tomato paste and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer 6 tablespoons of the puree to a large bowl. Add the mussels, cockles/clams and tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Tear off four 20-inch-long sheets of extra-heavy-duty foil.
- Mound half of the seafood in the center of each of 2 foil sheets. Add the shrimp in a layer on the seafood. Cover with 2 remaining sheets of foil; fold up the edges all around to seal.
- Grill the hobo packs over a hot fire for about 6 minutes, or until sizzling and puffed. Using oven mitts, transfer the packs to a large rimmed platter. Open the packs carefully, pour the eseafood into shallow bowls.
- Serve with garlic bread.