Another delicious treat from my friend Jenny. Jenny uses the oatmeal, but I usually use the bread. I also like dijon mustard. Jenny served this as a main dish over rice, along with her Corn Bake.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal or 2 cups white bread, torn into cubes
- 1 cup milk (I use skim)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2⁄3 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (brown sugar Splenda is fine)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained or 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard or 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak bread or oatmeal in milk until softened.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining meatball ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add soaked bread and mix well (I add any remaining liquid).
- Form into large meatballs and place into an ungreased 9x13" casserole.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meatballs.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes for large meatballs, or 25 minutes if you prefer mini meatballs.