1/1 Photo of Jaxon's Potato Chile Soup
Jaxon's is local and they make the best potato soup with green chile. The recipe is printed in the El Paso Junior League cookbook and there have been people to buy the cookbook for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh long green chili, roasted, peeled, seeded and finally chopped (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup of finely chopped onion
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk (May use 1-1/2 cups milk and 1-1/2 cups half and half)
- cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1Combine the first 6 ingredients.
- 2Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes.
- 3In a separate pan, melt the butter over low heat, add flour and blend until smooth.
- 4Cook the roux over low heat for 3 minutes, constantly moving it so it will not scorch.
- 5Strain liquid from potato/chile mixture and reserve 3 cups of the liquid.
- 6Mash half the potato/chile mixture, reserving the other half.
- 7Stir the reserved cooking liquid into the roux, raise the heat and whisk with a wire whip until thickened.
- 8Add milk to thickened liquid and continue to stir until it comes to a simmer.
- 9Turn off the heat, add mashed and unmashed potato/chile mixture.
- 10Serve topped with shredded cheese on top.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jaxon's Potato Chile Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2920 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.7
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 600.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g