Smokey Sweet Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed and minced (both white and pale green parts)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 -4 pickled jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In heavy skillet cook the diced bacon until crisp, remove bacon from skillet and reserve for other uses.
- To the same skillet with bacon drippings, add the chopped onion, leek and garlic; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cut sweet potatoes and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, thyme and nutmeg, bring to a boil.
- Partially cover and simmer over low heat until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 2o to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes, vegetables and most of the broth to the blender reserving remaining broth in a separate container.
- Puree the potato mixture until smooth, return the puree to the soup pot, add cream and thin with remaining broth to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, reheat soup stirring often, garnish with sour cream and pickled jalapenos.
- The soup can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving.
Join The Conversation
I scaled this back to 1.5 serves for the DM (thinking I would get 2 out of it for her) and it is a lucky thing it is quick to make. Got to step 5 and set the timer for 15 minutes to check and in 10 it was simmered dry and burnt, start again though the second lot of bacon was a lot leaner than the first so I had to add a little oil to fry the vegies and this time I fully covered and set the timer for 5 minute intervals and was ready for step 6 in 15. Trasnferred the lot to a bowl and pureed the lot as the DM doesn't like lumpy bits in her soup and then stirred in some cream, a dollop of sour cream swirled in and decorated with some of the bacon. The DM thought it was so good she decided on seconds and ate the lot. Oh I didn't add the pepper (if for me I woulded have added some chilli but not for the DM). Thank you PaulaG, made for the January Event - Soup is On.