1/1 Photo of Japanese Waffles -- Dora Yaki
We tasted these in Japan at several fairs and they were heavenly each time. I haven't tried this recipe but it looks fairly authentic. It comes from the "Joy of Japanese Cooking" book. Aside from bean paste, these waffles are commonly sold with a creamy custard filling, which was my favourite. Unfortunately, the amount of bean paste given is not specific so you will have to make an educated guess. It just depends on how full you want your waffles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 eggs
- 1/2-3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mirin or 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted three times
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 1 -2 cup bean paste, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1Break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and beat over warm water.
- 2Add the corn syrup, mirin and soy sauce and beat until light and fluffy.
- 3Add the soda mixed with water.
- 4Fold the flour in, alternating with the water.
- 5Whisk until it is the consisteny of a thick custard sauce.
- 6Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- 7Heat a heavy iron griddle or frying pan.
- 8Pour on 1 tbsp salad oil and coat the pan well.
- 9Wipe the griddle with a paper towel.
- 10Pour about 3 tbsp of the batter onto the griddle and let the batter spread gradually.
- 11Cook over a medium-low heat until bubbles appear.
- 12Turn it over with a spatula and cook the other side.
- 13The batter browns quickly.
- 14When done, cool on a cake rack.
- 15When cool, put 2 waffles together with bean paste filling.
- 16You can keep these in a plastic bag in the fridge for several days.
- 17You can also fill them with a cream cheese and sugar mixture.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Waffles -- Dora Yaki
Serving Size: 1 (707 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.7
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 131.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: