- Ready In:
- 2 lbs pork loin
- 12 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon beet kvas (beet kvas is the liquid from pickled beets.)
- 1 medium potato
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- dill weed, chopped
- sour cream
- Cover the meat with the cold water in a large stock pot.
- Add the salt and bring slowly to the boiling point.
- Skim the top of the water and discard.
- Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove meat and set aside to cool.
- Add the onions and beets to the stock pot.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the potato, celery, and carrot.
- Continue cooking for about 15minutes.
- Meanwhile, after the meat is cool, shred it and discard any fat or bones. Add the shredded pork to the stock pot.
- Add the cabbage and cook til tender.
- Be careful not to overcook.
- Stir in the tomato soup and garlic.
- Blend the flour with 3 TBS. of cold water.
- Add some of the soup liquid to the flour and stir till smooth.
- Add to the borscht.
- Add the beet kvas and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boiling point.
- Flavor with dill weed.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Although I haven't made this actual recipe I have been served a lovely borscht by my partners ex MIL (who is Latvian). After seeing Injustice's review I called the ex MIL and asked how she made her borscht. Apart from using pork necks rather than loins her ingredient list was almost identical. Seeing that I loved her version I am giving you 5 big stars!! Happy cooking and thanks for posting your recipe :)