Japanese Veggie Cakes (O Konomi Yaki)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I can't tell you how good these are. From White Grass Cafe Cookbook, from Davis, West Virginia. It's my favorite cookbook yet, focusing on natural foods. Serve with Hot Oriental Dipping Sauce that I will post as well.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 medium cabbage, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat oils in wok or large saucepan.
- Cook veggies in this order, waiting 1 minute after each addition: cabbage, bell pepper, onions, carrots, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool.
- Beat flour, eggs, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes; blend with veggies.
- Spoon batter into lightly oiled skillet, making 3 inch cakes.
- Saute until golden
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- These can be kept warm in the oven until all cakes are ready to be served.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION